Tips for Accessing the Members Only Section of the Website
To access this area of the website, you need to be a member of the Calgary Horticultural Society and have an email address. To learn more about the benefits of membership visit Why Join? under the membership tab.
The email address that you use when you log in must be the one that you provided the Society when you became a member. If you change your email address, you can updated your contact information by selecting “Your Profile” under the Member Login/Members Only. Log in using the old email address, make the update, then you will be able to use your new email address. You may call the office at 403.287.3469 and make the changes over the phone. The office is open for telephone support Tuesday to Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Please choose ext. 6 and leave a message if your call is not answered. Your call will be returned.
Error Message on Log In
If you receive an error message stating that you are unauthorized, it usually means that you are already logged in. Try selecting a page from the dropdown list. If that does not open the page, click the Members Login or Members Only menu item and select sign out. Ideally, close the website page, load it again by entering calhort.org in the browser, then try signing in to the Members Only section.
If you receive an error message that states that cookies need to be enabled, you need to go to Settings on your device, select the browser (e.g., Safari), scroll down to Privacy and Security, and turn off “Block all Cookies” and “Prevent Cross-site Tracking”.
Tips for Zoom Cloud Meetings
Zoom is a video conferencing tool that allows participants to easily see course materials presented and speak and interact with the instructor and classmates from the comfort of their homes—almost like being in the same room!
To participate in a Zoom meeting, you will need to download the Zoom software on the device you wish to use for the program. You can participate by cell phone but for most programs, it is recommended to use a computer or tablet to have a larger viewing screen. It should only take a matter of seconds and the software only needs to be downloaded the first time you join a meeting.
If you are using an iPhone, iPad or Android tablet or mobile device, (not a desktop or laptop computer) you will first need to download the Zoom Cloud Meetings application from the App Store or Google Play Store. Once you have the software on your or mobile device (or computer), you will only need the Zoom meeting invitation link to participate in subsequent meetings on that same device. It is not necessary to create a Zoom account.
Good Zoom Practices
- When logging into a meeting, be sure to enter your name so the presenter and other participants will know who is on the call.
- We recommend turning (or keeping) off your device’s camera once in the meeting by clicking on the ‘video icon’ to stop your device’s camera from projecting a video of you in your home (When the meeting is set-up the default is to have the participant’s camera off).
- Select ‘join with device audio’ so you will hear the presentation.
- Please mute your microphone so there is no background noise during the presentation. If you have a question you can use the ‘raise your hand’ tool found under the ‘chat’ icon or type into the ‘chat’ window. These tools are available at the bottom of the meeting screen and/or under the ‘more’ or by clicking on the three dots (…), depending on the device you’re using.
- The host, (the meeting presenter) has access to mute all participant microphones or ask everyone to mute themselves. At the end of a meeting the presenter may invite questions from the group. Use the ‘raise hand’ tool to indicate you have a question and wait in turn for the host to unmute your microphone and call upon you to speak. This avoids people inadvertently talking over each other.
- Note: You NEED a device with speakers (or be able to connect a listening device such as a headset or earbuds) to hear audio in the meeting. You DO NOT NEED a device with a camera or a microphone in order to watch and listen; you just won’t be able to interact with the instructor or participants except by typing into the ‘chat’ window.
- Ensure that you allow Zoom to access your device audio. If you are using a tablet and there is no sound, check the volume control. Also check that the audio device button has been activated. It may look like a headset.