Learn about soil health and preparation through a holistic and practical approach.
Whose land are we on?
- Land-based practices specific to Indigenous peoples living in and close to Calgary.
- Learn about what it means to be respectful to the land based on Indigenous teachings.
- How does Indigenous sovereignty relate back to soil and soil health?
Soil: Properties and Preparation
- Learn about the qualities of healthy soil and how to treat soil based on needs.
- Explore different settings of soil preparation: indoor, outdoor, container, urban gardening, house plants, and connect soil health back to previous lessons.
- Go to the grounds and observe soil quality and health of the soil. Use terminology discussed in class to identify the quality of soil and what can be done to support it.
- Choose 3+ plants you have researched in your plant journal and find out what soil quality is needed for them to thrive.