Learn how to safely and responsibly identify plants.
What is Plant Identification?
- Learn about plant identification and how to identify plants in a safe and respectful manner.
- Explore different ways of describing and identifying plants.
- History of plant identification practices specific to Alberta.
- Practice describing the different plants that were researched in the student’s plant journals from last week’s Class Activity.
Class Activity: Plant Identification
- Get familiar with surroundings – observe the plants and trees that grow outside.
- Identify plants in the journal using description – drawing, adjectives, tracing leaves, etc.
- Choose a book to start engaging with and/or choose a horticulture related subject to research for a self-driven project.
Plant Identification Resources
App: Alberta Wildflowers
App: PictureThis – Plant ID App
Alberta Plant ID
Kid’s Guide to Winter Plant Identification
Techniques and Procedures for Collecting, Preserving, Processing, and Storing Botanical Specimens