Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      MICHELLE EDWORTHY
      Participant

Hi everyone,

Let’s share our plant descriptions here – upload your image and use the terminology you learned in class to describe it. See my example: perfect flower

Attachments:
      CHRISTA KAHL
      Participant

It was a ladybug themed stroll this eve!

The Bur Oak would be an example of a nut (well missing so the ladybug could have a home!) and the leaves are lobed.

The flowers – are they a type of Yarrow (Achillea millefolium)? They would be an example of corymb flowers with awesome ferny leaves (compound) – the younger leaves were pubescent and appeared a bit more glabrous as they got older. I realize I didn’t take the best pic to see if they were odd or even pinnate… another walk is needed! The flowers are also overloaded with aphids- which is probably why the ladybug is hanging out near by. I confess to Googling a bit for the next one… it says they are dioceious. I do see the stamen, but not sure how I would go about finding the female portion of the flower?

MICHELLE EDWORTHY
      Participant

Great! Here is a nice visual of the corymb: https://www.ediblewildfood.com/images/common-yarrow-pictures/common-yarrow-drawing.jpg

I have never looked at yarrow flowers close enough to find they are dioecious. In the drawing above looks like the male flower is on the left and the female on the right. I can’t find photographs that show this in detail and it’s even hard to see on the botanical drawings.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Generously Supported By