Sample Terms of Reference
Sample Terms of Reference for A Garden
To facilitate, set up and maintain beautiful, productive and
pesticide-free community gardening projects that
welcome gardeners and visitors
The Garden Team reports to the community association's [ name of
Terms of Reference
The Garden Team carries out its activities on public land
with authority granted by the community association.
The Garden Team respects the bylaws of the community
association and operates the garden according to the Garden
Guidelines they develop. The Garden Guidelines are reviewed
once a year and a copy is stored with the community
Garden Team Members
Community gardening projects are governed by the Garden Team
consisting of 10 to 12 garden members. Each year a Garden
Team fills (at a minimum) the following positions:
1. Garden Communicator with Community Association
2. Garden Communicator with City of Calgary Parks
3. Neigbourhood Communicator Team Lead
4. Garden Treasurer
5. Garden Membership Secretary
6. Fund Raising Team Lead
7. Garden Construction / Repair Team Lead
8. Garden Angel Team Lead
9. Gardening Event Team Lead
10. Compost / Soil Building Team Lead
11. Food Sharing Team Lead
The Garden Team communicates regularly with the community
association. This can be arranged by a Garden Team member sending a
monthly report by email and attending a community association board
meeting twice a year. A copy of Garden Team minutes is
sent to the community association.
The Garden Team is responsible for managing its financial
matters and seeks funding for its activities after communicating
with the community association board. The Garden Team Treasurer
maintains a record of funds acquired and spent.
The Community Association Treasure works with the Garden Team
Treasurer to ensure timely payment of all garden expenses from the
Community Gardening account with special consideration given to
timely payment of receipts over $50 in spring, summer and
An annual budget is prepared, discussed and approved by the
Garden Team. Then they seek the endorsement of
the community association board of directors.
Income and Expense Statement
The Garden Team Treasurer will produce an Income and Expense
Statement twice a year which will be made publically available with
a copy sent to the community association board.
The Community Garden account in the community association budget
is arestricted funds line item in the community association
budget. Decisions for disbursements from this account lie with the
Community Garden Team leadership.
The Garden Treasurer will work closely with the Community
Association Treasurer to manage grants, investment and
distribution of funds.
Sources and Uses of Funds
The restricted funds account will contain community garden
fees such as garden bed rental fees. Gardeners will be
required to purchase a community association membership and these
funds will go into the community association's membership account,
not the garden account.
Garden Team Activities
1. Welcoming community association members who would like
to contribute to community gardening projects
2. Preparing annual budget
3. Responsible financial management for garden funds
4. Answering inquiries about the community garden
5. Planning and carrying out community consultation as
6. Setting garden policy
7. Sending in Monthly Update for community newsletter
8. Offering informal learning opportunities for
9. Cultivating a positive working relationship with the
community association and the City of Calgary Parks
How the Garden Team Collaborates:
1. The Garden Team meets once a month in a public location
advertising the date and time in advance. Meeting minutes are
taken and a copy is stored with the community association.
2. The Garden Team makes decisions by consensus and
voting. This means that Garden Team members agree to support
a decision arising from a majority vote even if it is not
their preferred choice.
3. The Garden Team may seek guidance and advice at any time
from a wide variety of sources such as the community association,
City of Calgary and the Community Garden Resource Network of the
Calgary Horticultural Society.
4. Garden Team members take turns in chairing the meeting
and arranging the agenda.
5. Community gardening projects go forward with volunteer
time, donated resources, donations and funding grants.